Monday, January 15, 2007

SOLITUDE!

O.k., so it's 5:00 am, cold, windy, dark and no one else has shown up to ride.

I'm only a couple blocks from home and could crawl back in to my warm bed for another hour, or even jump on the trainer?!?

It's only mid January and most of the world isn't able to put quality miles on their bike yet!!

You know what...it is only January and most of the world isn't able to put quality miles on the bike so why not take advantage of it!!

An abreviated version of the conversation I had with myself this morning. In the end I decided to head out and had one of the best rides I've had for a while.

One of the things I like best about riding is the solitude I seem to find after about an hour on the bike. It doesn't seem to matter if it's solo or riding with a group. It just seems it's better solo. A couple hours on the bike and I go through a few different phases. I start out by just enjoying/appreciating everything around me. Then I go inside myself and sort out/organize my day, my schedule, solve problems. I seem to be able to think more clearly after I've been on the bike for an hour or so, everything slows down for me. Then things start to go silent. My mind quiets down, everything slows down and no matter what is going on around me I seem to find peace. Then If I get to the next phase I begin to notice things around me again, only different than the start of the ride...rather than just seeing things I seem to be able to see through things, rather than see the people on the street, see into the lives of people on the street. When the ride is over, I feel sometimes like I've been on a vacation!

This morning was like that only better. There is something about the solitude of a solo ride that is multiplied by 1000 when it's in the dark. The world gets smaller around you and becomes you and the little area of light in your headlight or under the streetlight. I got in about 55km this morning in 2 hours, most of it uphill and finished at school with enough time to sit in my office and have coffee before anyone else arrived. I felt completely at peace when school started, and not even the class of 'meatheads' I had to cover for could take that away!

Back to the reason I decided to head out...quality miles outside on the bike in the middle of winter! That's quality ironman miles!

Cheers

1 Comments:

Blogger Habeela said...

What is cold in Cairo being defined as these days? ;)

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home