Monday, October 09, 2006

MAN DOWN!

This past weekend I'm cruising on the bike about 40km/hr when a motorbike pulls alongside. After the customary Egyptian immature behavior of honking and yelling and asking where I was from the bike pulled away and I relaxed and was able to begin looking around and enjoying the ride. A few miles up the rode I noticed the motor bike driver picking himself up off the road and dusting himself off. My first thought was serves him right and then it occured to me he went down for a reason. Unfortunately, this thought came to mind to late and as I looked down I realized I was in an oil slick. Moments later I was skidding through the slick on my side at 40km/hr. Luckily I stayed in the slick and when I got up I only had some minor scrapes and a lot of oil.

This got me to thinking how much this is like my life. Things sail right along for me as long as I stay focussed and concentrate on the road ahead. The minute I lose focus, become complacent, start taking things for granted the wheels come out from under me.

Last year when my training was going well, I lost focus and went too hard and ended up sick for two months.
Everytime I start to take my family for granted, I am very quickly reminded of all they are sacrificing for me to chase my Ironman dream and I am on damage control.
As soon as I become complacent in my work I begin to become unhappy with the poor quality I am producing and have a hard snapping back out of it.

This past weeks bike wreck was a good reminder for me. Stay focused, don't get complacent, don't take life for granted and it's easy to keep the wheels underneath you.

Cheers for now.
Brawn of the Oasis

1 Comments:

Blogger Habeela said...

Boy did I need to read this post this week! Thanks for the reminder and glad you didn't get too scraped up.

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home