Wednesday, May 24, 2006

ODE TO YOGA

Three years ago when I started training to do my first 12K run I also let Jasmine convince me to attend a yoga class with her. I began attending an Ashtanga yoga class and continued doing so for the next year and a half. Even when Jasmine got sick I continued to attend. The teacher was a British guy about my age who became good friends with my wife and I.

I can probably attribute my ability to get involved and stay involved in running and triathlons for the past three years to this yoga class. Before beginning I had no flexibility left in a warn out body. Many years of highly competitive hockey and baseball had left me almost debilatated with knee and back pain. Completing one 12K race was going to be my final athletic accomplishment. I was going to do it just to say I could and I did. The initial running just about killed me. I was in pain every run and every morning when I got out of bed. I continued with the yoga however, because I told Jasmine I would and I started liking it.

Gradually without even recognizing it, I started to gain flexibility. My muscles began to loosen up, lengthen and no longer cried out in pain when I did anything remotely resembling exercise. And even better than that, my knees and back began to hurt less and less. The turnaround flet so good, when we completed the 12K run we began looking for a 1/2 marathon to do, and at the same time looking at a triathlon to do. And so, through the benefits of Yoga a triathlete was born.

Unfortunately after 1 1/2 years of attending yoga classes 2-3 times per week, we stopped. Trianing, family, etc. began taking up more time and we decided to forgo the 1 hour trip in to town for yoga class. It really took up 3-4 hours of our evening. Even though we vowed to continue at home on our own, it never happened. And even though Jasmine picked it up again this year and is now training to be an Ashtanga Yoga instructor I had not continued with it.

Over the past few months I really began to miss the yoga and vowed I would start again when I had a little break between races to get back in to it. Well last night I started, and it felt GREAT. Even thohg I am not at the point I was when I stopped, I haven't lost too much and it felt really good to be doing it again. The relaxation both physical and mental is so important to me. It just seems to slow my life down for that hour and gives me a chance to regroup and start fresh. And I can start fresh with a new focus.

So my resloution for today is committ to doing yoga 3-4 times per week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home