Sunday, May 21, 2006

WHAT'S MOST REWARDING!!

On Friday Cairo American College hosted a small sprint triathlon. It is the only real event here in Egypt although we have developed quite a triathlon community here. I finished third overall and will post my results when the officail results come in.

Jasmine did very well also in her first ever event, and I was very proud of her as well, not only because since Anaka's birth 9 months ago she has completed two 1/2 marathons, a sprint triathlon, a 10K race and numerous smaller events, but because she continues to be dedicated to her training, she continues to have fun doing what she is doing and she continues to amaze me with her results.

What was most rewarding for me was the other two participants that we took. One, Mark, a colleague and my training partner for the last 9 months. The other, Ahmed, a grade 8 student from my school. When Mark arrived here and I was able to talk him in to running with me he could not complete a 6 K run. Nine months later, he has completed a 1/2 marathon, a 1/2 ironman and a number of other races and is doing extremely well in them. Ahmed is a strong swimmer and I have been encouraging him to give this a try and get involved in this amazing sport. I developed a training program for him, talked his mother in to bringing him out and he also had an amazing result. After he and his mother we very pleased and he may be hooked as well.

While I won't take any credit for the results turned in by Mark and Ahmed, I think I have had a lot to do with getting them involved and for that I am proud

1 Comments:

Blogger Habeela said...

Getting people involved is always such a great feeling! Congrats on such a great race.

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home