Thursday, May 11, 2006

THE JUGGLING ACT

Training has become a little more difficult the last month. Not the running, not the swimming, not the biking, but finding time to fit it all in. The change has come about as my wife has begun her 1/2 ironman quest. We both will be competing in a small sprint tri next weekend, then she is doing a 1/2 the beginning of July with me taking pictures, parenting and cheerleading before roles are reversed for my next 1/2 the end of July.

Adding her training time in to the fold has meant a whole lot more time management on our part. 'are you running this morning'? 'Yes, one hour before work.' I'll try and get an hour in on the bike at lunch then.' 'If you want to swim after school, I will run and pick up Anaka while you are in the pool.'

It has basically meant a whole lot more organizing and negotiating. It hasn't been impossible and luckily we are both still able to do some training during the day, but it definately has been more difficult. I am trying to allow Jaz first choice on training time and trying to fit my workouts around hers as this will be her first tri. She is also trying to be respectful and move her workouts around if we have time conflicts, so luckily we are still able to work together on this.

Tomorrow morning Jaz is going it with the cycling club alone while I spend the morning with the Little Brawn. Hopefully we will be able to sleep in a little and then maybe walk down to Mediteraneo for breakfast as we will be staying in Maadi. In the afternoon I have our final play-off game in our ball league followed by a team party after.

As it continues to get hotter here, training times become more limited as the heat means no running or biking after 10:00 am, but if we continue to respect each others needs we should be fine. I have nothing but respect for T.T.W.C.F...Two Triathletes With Children Families, that are able to fit in all the training to complete their competition needs. I am still determined to do an Ironman next summer and if Jaz decides the same it will probably mean a training contract for both.

1 Comments:

Blogger Habeela said...

Wow! Balancing two training schedules, a small child, and stupidly humid desert heat? That's enough without the day job! That's what I call discipline.

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home