Wednesday, March 15, 2006

FIGURES!!
It's supposed to be rest and relaxation time. It's supposed to be taper and mentally prepare for race day. Well, it's been anything but this week. After an off day Saturday, Sunday I was supposed to take the trusty steed out for a short ride, only to discover that my flat on Friday was due to a split tire which also caused the replacement tube to burst as I was getting ready to go. This would be no problem if there was a bike shop anywhere in Egypt. After many calls I was able to track down Stu, our clubs bike mechanic, who happened to have an extra set of tires kicking around. After a mad dash across town, tire problem solved.

Monday morning I woke up with a bit of a sore throat. It went away as the day went on and Ididn't think anything more of it. By Tuesday morning I had a full out cold and felt aweful. This morning I don't feel any better despity my amazing wife coming through with all the home remedies she could think of and despite getting the best massage ever from the earlier mentioned Jasmine! With race day in two days things have to get better!

It has left me thinking about what Jaz always asks...'what are you supposed to learn from this?' 'What lesson is life trying to teach you?' At this point I'm not really sure. Maybe I was feeling too good going in to this...over confident. Maybe this isn't life trying to teach me a lesson, but the race itself. "Wait a minute big fella, this isn't going to be all fun and games! Stop thinking ONLY 1/2 ironman, you need to respect me! I know your prepared, but don't lose your focus, I can bite you in the ass any time I like!" Maybe that's what's happening. Maybe I just need to maintain my focus, respect the race recognize what I will be accomplishing, and realize it's not ONLY a 1/2.

As for the next two days, here is what things look like. Thursday morning, report in to school for line-up then take a taxi at 8:00 am across town to meet with travel partner. Drive 5 hours to the Egypt-Isreal border. Ride our bikes 10 minutes to the actuall crossing. Spend anywhere from 1-3 hours getting through the border. Ride our bikes 1 hour in to Eilat. Check in to our hotel and head straight to the pre-race briefing. Have supper, go to bed. Up at 4:00am for breakfast before a 6:30 am start.

If I don't get a chance to check in before I go, wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home