Sunday, March 05, 2006

THE UPS DOWNS OF TRI TRAINING

As I get ready for my first 1/2 of the season in 12 days, the ups and downs of tri training are starting to wear on me. I have felt my training is going pretty well considering my other committments and the fact that I had to miss 3 weeks of bike and swim training when I went home to Canada, but all in all I feel good and like I am prepared. Two weekends ago I did a swim-bike brick.

40 minute swim-felt great, good time, excited to get on the bike...I can do this!
100K bike-first 1/2 went well, felt good, time was good. Hit the turn around in to a swift head wind, and things SUCKED. Felt like I was peddaling a bike with flat tires through mud. When I got back I thought I couldn't run one K let alone 21 right now.
UP-DOWN

Last Wed. 24K run-Felt great, strong right through. -UP

Thursday 1500M swim-1st swim in a while in wetsuit. Felt strong right through, time was good, this is going to be a breeze. -UP

Friday 500M open water swim in the Red Sea-SUCKED again, strong winds, poor visibility, thought this is going to be no fun if I have to struggle through this. -DOWN

Saturday 100K bike + 8K run (brick) AWESOME, averaged 30KM/HR on the bike, 8 K run in 37 minutes and felt strong. Focused on nutrition and made sure I was executing my race plan. -UP

With 12 days left I have two key workouts left, then a well planned taper. I know I am well prepared and I have a good race plan that will work for me if I stick with it. I also know that mentally I am strong and need to think less about the up and down workouts as I know this is part of training.

This is one of the things that I love about this sport. All the physical preparation doesn't go very far if you aren't mentally strong. If you can't think your way through a race your performance will not be what is should. If you can't stay focused throughout all of your training and stay on an even keel through the ups and downs, you will suffer for it.

12 Days to go and I am confident I will reach my goals and confident this will be a solid race for me not because physically I'm prepared (although I am) but because mentally I am prepared and I am so much smarter than when I started this business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home