Thursday, March 09, 2006

LAST DAY OF AMSHEER

Or Reiah El Khamaseen as it is also known in these parts. Amsheer comes from the Coptics and it is the name they have given to this time in the calendar that is characterized by windstorms that traditionally last about three days at a time. Today is the last day of Amsheer and today is also the third day of one of the nastiest windstorms I have seen. From my office I can't see our football pitch which is about 150 m away. Our school is right on the edge of the desert so we get it worse than anywhere. We woke up to a 'drift' of sand inside our patio doors and it isn't fit for man nor beast outside. That being said I have scheduled a 2000m swim (which I will do inside int he pool) and a 90 minute bike for this afternoon after work. With my 1/2 ironman 8 days away I feel like I need to get this in and will do everything in my power to tough it out. I'm hoping I can find a mask to wear over my mouth and atleast get some miles in. Tomorrow morning I am scheduled to do a 2 hour bike and an 80 minute run. These are the last two key workouts before the tri, so I would really like to get them in.

This week has gone well. On Tuesday I did a 5K time trial run at Cairo American College and bested my old PB by running 19:20 over the 5K. My time three months ago was 20:12 and that is really the only time I have to go on over this distance. Last night I taught an Abs class at our Gold's Gym, followed by spinning class (Endurance), which was full for the third week in a row. Seems like I'm getting quite a number of regulars who are telling me they won't miss my class.

Some interesting news on the summer plans. Jaz (my wife) has just informed me she is 'considering' doing a 1/2 ironman this summer is well. Her plan was to do a sprint and an olympic but is now trying to decide if she will have the time to train for her first 1/2. I'm excited about this and hope I can help out with some coaching if she decides it's a go.

I will keep you posted on the Khamaseen wind and how the training goes tonight. If you want to imagine what it's like here, imagine the nastiest blizzard you have seen and then change the snow to sand!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home