Monday, November 21, 2005

I THINK WE'RE CONTAGIOUS!!
My wife and I have caught a small bug, and I think we are somewhat contagious...at least I hope we are and we are trying to infect as many people as we can with it.

It's not the flu as I haven't been sick in years. It's not a cold because I rarely get them and when I do I'm miserable and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. We have been infected by the triathlon bug and as we are discovering with a little work and without trying to quarantine it, it can be very contagious. Actually, to be a little less specific, the fitness bug in general.

Three years ago the Mrs. and Idecided we were going to do a 12 km run in Luxor through the Valley of the Kings. The event was part of the Egyptian Marathon. Before we left we managed to convince 5 others that it would be fun and something they should really do. Piggy backing off that race we were able to organize a crew of 9 to compete in an 8 km race at the Pyramids, and the following weekend took 13 people to a 5 km.

Mission accomplished for year one.

Last year I began by convincing a close friend that we should run a half and a full marathon together before the end of the year (the Mrs. was with child so was not able to run). Last year both Brian and I were able to do a half marathon together (his first) and our first marathon. In addition to that event we took a number of teachers to a sprint triathlon to compete as teams, we took 4 students to a duathlon, and 14 students and teachers to a 5k and 10k event put on by a neighboring school. Another successful year.

To date this year I was able to convince a friend to be my running partner. He recently completed a 20k run and I think I have him talked in to doing a sprint triathlon in the spring and an olympic in the summer. The Mrs. was able to put a team of 4 gals and 1 guy together to compete in the 100 KM Pharonic Race, and through her help and guidance all were able to complete their 20 k leg of the race and feel like they wanted to look at another event in the future.

Over the past three years we have also put on and organized our own 'Dreamland Dash'. A 2.5 k and 5k event catoring to students, staff, and parents from our school. The first year we had about 75 runners and walkers and last year we have over 140 participants. This year is shaping up to be an even larger event.

The beauty of passing this bug on to others is that it feels great! It is our charity work. Sometimes it feels like we are giving life itself to some people and in some respects, we may be. Evertime I complete an event I am proud of what I have just accomplished, but when someone completes an event that I have had a hand in getting them to, I feel an overwhelming amount of pride in their accomplishments!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Born To Endure said...

You're are lucky to have a training partner and one for life eh??

9:34 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

I think it's so great that you two train together! Your family is beautiful :)

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home