Monday, November 07, 2005


HOLIDAY AT THE BEACH!

This past 5 day break we travelled to Dahab and spent an excellent holiday at the beach. With a day at each end for travelling, we were left with 3 days of rest, relaxation, and possibly some training. I haven't always had the best track record when it comes to training on holidays plus I hate swimming in the Red Sea, and although I was hopeful that I could get some sessions in I wasn't going to hold my breath. My goal before I left was to get in as many open water swims as I could, with the Eilat triathlon coming up and it taking place in the Red Sea only a few hundred kilometers from Dahab and to get in one run. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! I managed to get in 3 open water swims, 2 of 2000m and 1 - 3000m swim which turned out very well. My confidence grew with every swim and I felt more and more relaxed each time. I was also able to get in two runs. The first run of 11 km with the Mrs. was a great hill workout right at sunset with the Sinai mountains on one side and the Red Sea on the other. The second run was 18.5 km and was on a paved road heading towards the Blue Hole, a famous dive site. This run was a bit of a gut check as the wind going out was right in my face and VERY strong. The first half was a struggle, but coming back I felt strong and averaged 4'50" per Km over the last 9 Km.

The rest of the weekend was spent relaxing, bonding with the little Brawn and spending some quality time with the Mrs. In our lives of go...go...go, this holiday was a bit different, nothing planned and nothing that needed to get done, and to be honest with you, it was much needed and much enjoyed!

Here are some things I learned on holidays:
1. A holiday revolving around traing and nothing is a great holiday.
2. An 11 week old is pretty easy to haul around as long as you stick to her schedule and don't mix things up too much for her.
3. Everyone is relaxed in Dahab.
4. Swimming is just about the water that's around you, whether it's in the pool or in the Sea. Everything else is just 'window dressing'. It really doesn't effect you unless you let it.
5. A change is as good as a rest when it comes to scenery on the run. It can make an hour seem like minutes when you have something different to look at (especially when it's as beautiful as the Red Sea).
6. When your in Dahab if something isn't good, order something else; when plans go awry, flow with the new plans; when people aren't on time enjoy the wait...your on holidays!
7. A thick shake is a good post race recovery drink (if ever in Dahab, make sure you have one)
8. When holidaying with friends and co-workers, plan a couple things with them, but keep your holiday to yourself and your family.
9. In-laws are great to holiday with, just make sure they have some plans of their own as well.
10. The best part of any holiday is the quality time you get to spend with your family. I learn more everytime I'm away with them and am reminded why I love them so much!

1 Comments:

Blogger Born To Endure said...

What a beautiful picture!!

1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home