Sunday, October 16, 2005

What's in a Name?!?

Welcome to my sight. I probably would have been up and running earlier as I have been lurking for a long time, but I have had trouble coming up with a name for my site. I have finally come up with Oasis.

It seems fitting. If you look up Oasis in the Collins COBUILD Students Dictionary it says "1. A small area in a desert where water and plants are found. 2. You can refer to any pleasant place or situation as an oasis when it is surrounded by by unpleasant ones. The gardens are an oasis in the midst of Cairo's urban sprawl."

While I can't say there is much unpleasant in my life right now a. I do live in Cairo. b. I most definately feel like my triathlon training is an Oasis for me. c. I am living in a green area in the middle of a desert (and do much of my running and cycling in or on the edge of the desert). d. I am hoping this sight becomes an 'oasis' for the creative being in me that has not had a chance to surface for far too long.

a. I am a Canadian living and working in Cairo, Egypt (City of 6 October to be exact) with my wife Jasmine and new daugter Anaka. We have been in Egypt for just over 2 years.

b. Training, most recently triathlon training, has become an oasis for me. A chance to break from everyday life and be by myself (even if I am training in a group) sort out my thoughts for day and organize my life. It has become somewhat meditative. It relaxes me, it balances me, it makes me a more sound, 'with it' person.

c. The part of Cairo that we live is actually a newer community far removed from downtown and built in an area that was formerly desert. A lot of work has gone in to making this area green, clean, and pleasant and you know anything about Cairo that means a lot of work. Looking our our apartment window we can see the pyramids on one side and the desert on the other making for some great running and cycling.

d. It is my hope that this site will become an oasis or outlet for something creative that I know is within me somewhere. I have never really had a creative outlet as my life has been filled with playing sport, preparing for sport, coaching sport, watching sport, and recovering from sport. I feel I have always had a creative side, but never had the opportunity to show it. While I in no way consider myself a writer, hopefully this will spark something in me that has laid dormant for far too long.

So this is me and this is my blog. Comments are appreciated and hopefully there will be more to come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home