Sunday, May 06, 2007

7 WEEKS TO GO!

Well, I think it's time I let myself begin to focus on the race itself. It's seven weeks today and to this point I have been pretty good at focusing on training and not letting myself get too carried away thinking about the race. I'm somebody who needs to feel mentally prepared as well so I think I can start that process.

Physically, I'm feeling pretty good. In the past 6 weeks I have done 4 one hundred mile rides and have done 3 two plus hour runs. My long ride and run has been stacked on Friday and Saturday and to date the body seems to be holding out pretty well. This past weekend was 100 miles on the bike Friday followed by a 20 minute run and a 2 hour 45 minute run on Saturday. I have 3 long bikes and 2 long runs left in my program.

So now the mental game begins. I know the hurt that faces me in seven weeks so that won't come as a surprise, now the trick is to begin sorting out how I'm going to deal with it. Sort out the positive self-talk, the positive images I will call upon when I need them, the personal dialogue that always goes on in my head. This has always been a strength for me...the ability to dig in when things get tough...the ability to work through rough spots and right the ship. The key for me is to just be prepared and not be surprised.

Life for me right now is crazy with all the things going on. The end of the school year is coming, Ironman is around the corner, I'm registered and preparing for a masters program that begins this summer. Thankfully this week is a recovery week and I'm off to Jordan to a resort on the Dead Sea for athletic conference meetings beginning on Wed.

A pleasant surprise last month as a friend purchased my training supplemments for me (Hammer Products). This month another guy I know has offered to put in another order for me. It will help me a great deal as with all that's going on, money is definately tight right now. So a big thank you to my first two sponsors...Kenny Boone and Kerry Rogers.

Cheers for now!
Kevin

1 Comments:

Blogger Habeela said...

My favorite piece of mental advice I ever got was "don't stop - it won't hurt less"

2:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home