Tuesday, October 24, 2006

A SIGN OF MATURITY??

Perhaps this is a sign that I am finally maturing as an endurance athlete. Last week I had a very busy week. I did a 10k run on Sunday, 2 spinning classes, 10 k run on Tuesday morning followed by a 5k race on Tuesday night, a 25k run on Thursday morning and a 90k bike on Friday morning. Saturday was my off day and I woke up with a bit of a sore knee. On Sunday I was supposed to get up and run but the knee still felt a little wonky so I did yoga instead and took the day off. Monday I was going to bike, but again it didn't feel great so I did yoga and left the bike on the stand. This morning when I woke up, the knee felt better and I was able to get in my 15 k run. The run felt great, I felt well rested and strong, and was able to knock off sub 8 minute miles while keeping my HR in zone 2.

In past situations that are similar I would not have been able to take the day off, my ultra-competitive, type A personality would have kicked in and I would have pushed through all my workouts risking some extended forced time off or ended up feeling frustrated because the workouts sucked. Instead, I was able to show some 'maturity' and take the much needed two days off and get back at it rested and strong and pain free!

On my run today it crossed my mind that I am exactly 8 months away from my date with Ironman! More on that tomorrow.

Cheers for now
Brawn of the Oasis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home